The most puzzling of the critiques levelled at Playstation Plus was that posted by Kotaku Australia's David Wildgoose. Essentially he states that he will not subscribe to the service because he is only aware of the benefits on offer for the first two months the service is offered, and that everything past that point is essentially a lucky dip. He continues by arguing that with Xbox Live Gold, you know exactly what you get and for that reason, he will be happy to continue subscribing to Microsoft's service while rejecting Sony's. I posted comments on his article arguing the following:
- Comparing connection quality in games played over the Playstation Network and Xbox Live, I have noticed no great difference in the amount of lag encountered. Therefore, it makes no sense to pay for one service just to play games online when the other is of comparable quality and allows me to play for free.
- A 12 month Xbox Live subscription costs $79.95. This allows me to purchase games included in the Deals of the Week promotion. This means that on top of the subscription fee, I get to pay slightly less for downloadable games if and when Microsoft decides to include desired titles in the promotion.
- I don't understand why so many people want Cross-game chat functionality. Why would you want to speak to anyone who is not playing with you (especially in a competitive, team-based game)? Add to that, the fact that I don't have enough friends on XBL to use Xbox Live Party functionality.
- With Playstation Plus you pay $5.83 a month to participate in the "lucky dip." I am sure that I would find enough content of interest to cover the initial $69.95 investment. The last time I bought a lucky dip was in 1992 at the St. Kevin's Primary School fete and it cost me 2 dollars (I picked out a small, plastic Brontosaurus). Taking inflation into account, $5.83 or what would be less than 400 Microsoft Points ($6.60) for (potentially) 4 games a month is a steal. To illustrate the point (and this was not included in my comments on Kotaku): Yes, I have already purchased Wipeout HD, but I have not purchased Fieldrunners (which I have learnt today is an awesome Tower Defence romp) and Destruction Derby. Further to that, as a bonus for subscribing within the first month of offer, I can download LittleBigPlanet. My access to LBP won't expire if I discontinue my subscription to Playstation Plus. 1 day in and I have downloaded $66.85 worth of content.
- Subscribing to Playstation Plus will entitle you to donwload 48 games a year. Once again, I am sure (now proven) that I will find enough content to justify the asking price.
I know there is comfort in predictability, but I am more than happy to take a 6 dollar punt every month. It looks like I'm on a winner.
Who is or isn't subscribing to Playstation Plus? Care to share your rationale?