Tuesday, April 30

Mission (sort of) Accomplished: Gamefast 2 ends in success!



It's been four, gruelling months, but I survived. Gamefast 2: The Plum Sake Slushie Mandate ends in success as I've abstained from buying any games, downloadable content or items of gaming hardware in 2013 to date so far.

I'm not going to lie, this victory isn't as comprehensive as it could have been. An exceedingly generous woman who was willing to support me in my weaker moments ensured that I made it across the line. Allow me, if you will, to detail the care packages rendered by my beloved wife - I nominated "reasons" for the timed delivery of salvation because surely someone doesn't help another tackle addiction through the goodness, and only the goodness, of their own heart right? Right? 

Month - January, Reason - Just because
DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3)

DmC was probably the best game/carrot I could've hoped for. So slow it was to get started that I found myself starting to look to the backlog for more engaging experiences. The Darkness II, Halo 4 and Sonic & All-Stars Racing were all conquered thanks to the new Dante's inability to get me hooked proper. As per my review, once it did get started, I found myself addicted... but my word, Ninja Theory made me wait. 

Month - February, Reason - Valentine's Day
Anarchy Reigns (PS3)
Dead Space 3 (PS3)
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Carly's generosity served to reinforce the reasons why I probably shouldn't be buying multiple games every pay cycle. Example: I'm still yet to play Dead Space 3 and Anarchy Reigns for longer than 15 minutes. I played Ni No Kuni for a grand total of ten hours. If I was un or under-employed, I dare say I would've invested a great deal more time in this Greatest Hits collection of JRPG tropes. It may not deliver many surprises, but it offers charm and warmth in spades.  


Months - March/April, Reason - Birthday
BioShock Infinite (PS3)
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Collector's Edition (PS3)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

If Nintendo had their shit together, I dare say I could've lasted four months on Fire Emblem: Awakening alone. For those unaware, the game was released in the United States in February while the PAL release was delayed for the purpose of proper English translation. It's achingly beautiful, I've spent more than ten hours with it so far and I have every intention of finishing it. Thoughts of romance, experience farming and micromanagement have haunted my every waking moment since it was gifted to me just over a week ago. BioShock Infinite is the early front-runner -- I'd almost go as far to say it's the unbackable favourite -- for most disappointing game of 2013. It may have been enjoyable enough to warrant a second playthrough, but the thematic and narrative failures in this package still have me hurting. Finally, I'm yet to spend much time with Injustice, but the game has well and truly reinvigorated my faith in the concept of the Collector's Edition: a quality statue, comic book and exclusive DLC all for 10 bucks more than the price of the standard game. Stellar!

Fortune -- in the form of timed redemption promotion -- allowed me to get a hold on some of 2013's releases without spending a dollar of my own money. Buying a new Toshiba TV upon my return from Christmas holidays netted me a prepaid credit card which I used to pick up Tomb Raider (which remains unplayed), the criminally-underrated Castlevania: Subtitle Squared, and StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. I may not have spent much time with the Zerg, but installing the new expansion compelled me to go back and finish Wings of Liberty.  

I was also able to procure a review copy of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance back in February and just last Friday, my little brother gave me a copy of Trion World's latest MMO, Defiance. The story behind the latter is pretty funny: Reuben's obsessed with the game and reports issues to the developers regularly, almost to the point of harassment. In an attempt to thank him for his near-religious fervor for the fledgling online game, he was sent a copy of the Collector's Edition; unfortunately for Trion Worlds though, they sent a US version (with DLC codes that are incompatible with his digital Australian version), so the flow of emails restarted.  

I'd love to say that I've learnt a lot from this experience, but I have to admit that I'm looking forward to spending up big as soon as I can. First on the list is Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 following the revelation that the franchise will be shelved for 2015 to take full advantage of new console hardware. After that it'll be Luigi's Mansion 2, as I'm paranoid that I'll miss out on a physical copy with stock of first party 3DS games in Australia drying up faster than sauce at a sausage fest. 

Still, I made it, and I'm a little proud of myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment