Monday, August 9

Impulse Plus

Just over a month since its inception, Playstation Plus has managed to deliver a satisfactory return on my initial investment. I wouldn't dare say that it is an essential service, but for those of us (read: me) who usually waste untold hundreds (read: thousands) of dollars on mediocre downloadable games, Plus provides a disincentive for my usual impulse purchase habits. Why? Because whatever I buy might be offered up free (or at a discount) in the coming months. While I am yet to touch the complementary Minis and PSone classic offered up this month, Zen Pinball has been a fun distraction this past weekend.

Now when I say Plus has proved to be a deterrent for my compulsion to purchase downloadable content, I'm not being entirely honest with you. Having utilized the Full Game Trial function to download open world, superhero action game inFamous, I found myself compelled to finish a game that I had previously owned, twice. In this hour of play, I came to understand why I had not previously enjoyed my time with this Playstation 3 exclusive: I was playing it wrong. In the quintessential example of a superhero action game done right, Crackdown; you can walk the streets of Pacific City, confident that you are able to withstand the most formidable of attacks provided that you don't stand still for a prolonged period. Your enemies employed strategies that were for the most part, incapable of causing a great deal of harm (once again, unless you stood motionless for a few minutes). With inFamous however, your enemies are rabid, intelligent dogs with eyes greater than that of ten hawks sandwiched together. They hunt you down, and for a superhero, they effectively make you feel powerless.

So instead of playing inFamous like an arrogant, invincible god of war; I'm trying a new approach. Now I'm playing it like a cover shooter (with freaking superpowers!), and I'm actually enjoying it. Enjoying it enough to buy it for a third time. At least now its a Platinum title. Right?



What have you guys been playing over the weekend?

8 comments:

  1. I was playing Batman, abd my god that game is freaking fun as! Seriously, I haven't had that much fun with a platformer in a while hey. i was also thinking of picking up the super cheap infamous, but I am still torn. the targeting system just seemed dodgy as when I played it last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Arkham Asylum, it was pretty much the ultimate Batman simulator. I never understood why the gaming press corp as a whole hated "Detective Vision." I thought the game looked fantatsic in and out of X-Ray specs.

    Infamous can get a bit repetitive, but 3rd time lucky maybe?!?!? I seem to have gotten the hang of the shooting mechanic and am seeing the 1XP Head Shock bonus a lot more this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I couldn't come to grips with it hey. That and I think I would get over it quick.

    But Batman is just straight up fun. Honestly, the fighting is a bit the same all teh time, but the fact that there are so many ways to approach each problem, depending on how you level up makes it special. That and I get to see a lot of a quality Joker and harley Quin.

    Have you seen the new one?!?!?!?! Arkham City?!?!?!?! OMG JIZZ IN MY PANTS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it should be pretty special. While the combat is simplistic, I must admit that I was hooked on the combat challenges (and the attached trophies). Didn't get them all mind you, but the rock-paper-scissors melee was damn good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, have you seen that if you pre-order MoH they are giving out beta codes for BF3?!?!?! That will be so rad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did see that. I'm more excited about the free PS2 game and imminent media shit-storm once people find out that you can play as the Taliban.

    Get ready for a week long A Current Affair spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL So true. Mind you, I think I would really enjoy the single player, so i don't know if I want to do an EB pre-order, get the BF3 beta code, play the game for a week, then take it back and get my money back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ice-T was not a fan of the MoH beta, I take it you were not as well?

    ReplyDelete