Monday, August 8

Minus PlayStation Plus

I'm not renewing my PlayStation Plus subscription. A decision I reaffirmed after reading an email from Sony last week, reminding me what PlayStation Plus offered me over the course of a year and a bit: a mass of  (usually dated) content that I couldn't possibly need or find the time to play through.

Ironically enough, that was one of the reasons I championed the service at first. Upon signing up for my first year I was gifted with Little Big Planet and could download a further six games.... that I had previously purchased. I did have better luck with the second month in that I didn't already own most of the content on offer, but it turns out there was a reason for that: it was all shite.

The subsequent monthly offerings rarely impressed. Only once was I genuinely caught off guard, with Stacking made available to subscribers at no cost. Red Faction Battlegrounds was another complimentary title, but let's face it: it is the worst game to be released this year. My Plus subscription also afforded me access to some "exclusive" betas, but few were actually worth the time and bandwidth. I could never find a match during the SOCOM: Special Forces beta. The inFamous 2 User-Generated Content beta was an abject failure in terms of user-friendliness and participation. The Uncharted 3 beta went public before I even got the chance to play it. There were also two Killzone 3 beta trials, but more on that later.

There was one issue however that sealed the fate of my Plus subscription months ago. Believe it or not, it wasn't the whole hacking saga. My personal details being compromised and my privacy being violated was a concern; but by this point, my decision had already been made. That, and Burnout Paradise was the reparation delivered to PlayStation Plus subscribers - which at that point was pretty much anyone who owned a PlayStation before April - which is a game that I had once again previously purchased.

I'm cancelling my PlayStation Plus subscription because of the Killzone 3 closed beta. For those of you who don't know - or have understandably forgotten - participation in the closed beta was afforded to the first ten thousand Plus subscribers who downloaded a Killzone 3 XMB theme. Paying just-under seventy dollars a year wasn't enough to gain access to a multiplayer demo; you had to jump through another little hoop to have the honour.

That just about did it for me. The much-publicized PlayStation Network outage didn't help matters for sure, but I didn't appreciate the audacity of Sony asking me to do even more to get my money's worth.

Funnily enough, I recently extended my Xbox Live subscription even though I rarely play multiplayer games on my 360. Maybe it has something to do with that service being a necessity where PlayStation Plus is a luxury.

A luxury in which I no longer wish to indulge.

No thanks, I'm on a diet.

Links:
  1. Welcome Back to PlayStation Plus - EU PlayStation Blog
  2. The Killzone 3 Beta Starts On The 25th October (and here is your chance to get in!) - EU PlayStation Blog
  3. The PlayStation Network Returns; Normalcy Won't - Kotaku

No comments:

Post a Comment