Tuesday, July 10

The High Horse Audit 2012: The Top 5 Games of 2012 so far

Time is money: an old adage that has meant more to me this year than it ever has. A new job, a longer commute and a growing family means that gaming time is becoming scarce and all the more precious. It's not like I regret any of the choices that I've made, but the sad fact of the matter is that I'll never have all the time to do/play everything that I want to (let alone write about these ventures in great detail). What all of this ultimately means is that writing a list of the best games I've played in a calendar year becomes a little easier, as the amount of games I've played is somewhat diminished. 

With all that said, ordering this list has still been a painful experience, as the quality of releases that I have managed to play to completion has been quite high. I'm still agonising as to whether Prototype 2 should have made the list; yes, it was shallow in terms of narrative and it was pretty easy, but I'll be damned if it wasn't fun. The games that did make the cut each illicited an emotional response -- some in more ways than others -- and speak to the way in which this medium can contribute stories, characters and experiences that I'll carry with me until my final days. Some -- like Motorstorm RC and Rayman Origins -- evoked a strong sense of nostalgia that reminded me why I fell in love games during my childhood; others -- like Journey -- challenge us by presenting unconventional narratives that aren't really possible through more conventional storytelling methods. Despite all the gloom out there on the interwebz, there's still a lot for gamers to be excited about.  

5. Motorstorm RC (played on PlayStation Vita)
An arrow courses through a race track with ruthless efficiency, like blood through veins. Uninterrupted by obstacles or my opponents, the arrow would taunt me from a position that was usually well in front of my own. Switching vehicles wouldn't help, the arrow knew each corner of the track like the back of its hand. My only weapon was persistence; tracing these small tracks with tiny cars until they became imprinted on my brain. Eventually, my car would eclipse the arrow and a reasonably inflammatory message would meet the author upon their return to Motorstorm RC's fiendishly addictive playgrounds. 

Poetic license aside, this is the PlayStation Vita's "killer app": it's cheap, it has a wealth of content that continues to expand with reasonably-priced expansions, and -- most importantly -- it's fun. Reminding me of the hours I invested in the Micro Machines series, Motorstorm RC puts the focus back on the racing as opposed to sponsorship deals with energy drink labels or poorly conceived action movie narratives. Its asynchronous multiplayer constantly taunts you with your friend's better times and encourages you to keep playing. This game is the reason I kept my Vita charged, and to make an even more compelling case for its purchase, you can download it to your PlayStation 3 and race at home if you feel the need. Unbeatable value.

4. Mass Effect 3 (played on PlayStation 3)
Have you ever had to say goodbye to a friend? Knowing that hand shake, that hug, or that kiss could be the last contact that you ever have with them can be a little too much to bear.   Mass Effect 3 presents many moments like this; some are idol threats, while others proved true and the resulting loss had my bottom lip quivering. Sometimes the relief of seeing a crew member survive a tense sequence proved just as moving too. Bioware may not have gotten everything right here, but Mass Effect 3 is an emotional roller coaster and fan service of the highest order.

Quibbles with the unfulfilling (and baffling) conclusion and shallow multiplayer offering aside, this is easily the best game in the series. The impending doom of the Reaper invasion keeps everything moving at a brisk pace, and impacts on every conversation and every relationship that Shepard has developed over the course of the trilogy. While a hard sell to anyone who's never engaged with the series, the final chapter is a worthy investment for anyone who's been there since Eden Prime.


While the side missions feel somewhat arbitrary, the main quests are packed to the gills with awe-inspiring set pieces and an impressive sense of scale. The Maw Hammers sequence on Tuchanka would have to be one of the stand out boss fights that I've seen on this generation of hardware; it simply must be seen. In hindsight, I may have rushed through my playthrough; and now that the Extended Cut has been released I may try (and most probably fail) to see the game's ending in the way hoped for by a throng of internet trolls. As it stands, Mass Effect 3 is a fitting finale to this space opera series and a farewell tour without equal.

3. Journey (played on PlayStation 3)
Looking back, it may not have been the smartest idea to play through Journey just after my wife left for school camp. Feeling vulnerable and a little lonely, it wasn't long before Journey started tugging at my heartstrings. The ominous hum of the score in the initial stages drew me in immediately, reminding me of past anxiety and pushed me into a great expanse. The anonymous companions I gathered in my travels then served to reinforce themes of life, death, companionship and tradition. Multiplayer that doesn't involve childish name-calling, vulgar language and also conveys a message deeper than "us versus them" is not only an accomplishment, but an important step forward for the medium.


Despite the distinct lack of guns, explosions and sexy costumes, Journey drew me in with a refreshingly brisk pace. Two hours of gentle surprises like sliding down a shimmering sand dune, the exchange of language, and floating on air. The controls are simple, the mechanics even moreso (read: go forward) yet thatgamecompany have delivered something truly profound. Go play it now, just make sure you have loved ones and tissues nearby.

2. Rayman Origins (played on PlayStation Vita)
I don't ever want to be a kid again. I love eating rubbish and slippery slides as much as the next person, but I have so many things now that I simply can't go without (believe it or not, I'm referring to people and relationships as opposed to my lovely game collection). What I do miss from the days of old, however, is a bit of tough love from my gaming experiences. One-hit deaths, huge gaps, a need for precise timing, reflexes and attention to detail aren't typical of tutorial-heavy shooters and adventure games: back in the day, you had to work for the wins.

Rayman Origins captures that spirit and makes few concessions. You may not have to worry about lives and continues, but the distance between checkpoints -- not to to mention the difficulty in traversing between them -- will demand your focus and utmost care. The controls respond to your every careless command and display of hesitation; it's the kind of game you could use to teach some very powerful life lessons. If that's not enough for you, there's charming visuals, a memorable soundtrack and enough content to justify the price of entry five times over. This is one of the best 2D platformers of all time.

1. Max Payne 3 (played on Xbox 360)
The title theme for Max Payne 3 still haunts me. If I'm ever alone for any great amount of time, Health's powerful piece of music serves to make me all the more pensive. It foreshadows the pain, failure and the -- for lack of a better word -- shit that the game's titular hero is to see or has already experienced. While it is at its heart, a solid third person shooter, Max Payne 3 is a shockingly violent and stylishly presented story of redemption.

Despite an awkward cover system and inconsistent damage model, Max Payne 3 is an enjoyable shooter that features the return of the eternally satisfying Shootdodge and Bullet Time mechanics. It also features some of the most shocking depictions of violence that I've ever seen in a game. This isn't necessarily a good thing, but it will stick with you; that much I can guarantee. Its also worth noting that the game's substantial single player campaign is     infinitely replayable and available to play at multiple difficulty levels and in two different score attack modes. Great fun and better value.

I haven't touched on the addictive multiplayer offering which isn't half as popular as it deserves to be. Huge maps, a wealth of perks and a respectable arsenal make for a compelling alternative to the competition. I intend to return to Hoboken sometime soon in the hope of another match with a perfectly orchestrated Shootdodge off the top of a building at round's end. 


To conclude, I'll take the easy road and quote from my review:

"I can recommend Max Payne 3 without hesitation. Its brutal, refreshingly adult narrative is something that anyone of the appropriate age -- which for the record, shouldn't be 15 -- should experience. There are inconsistencies that appear throughout the single player component, but I found it compelling and rarely frustrating. The multiplayer offering is also well worth your time, even if the majority of gamers don't seem to agree with me at the moment. Easily the best game of 2012 to date, and I have no doubt it'll survive my rigorous High Horse Audit later this year. Miss at your own peril"

What are your picks? Are there any glaring omissions from my list?

2 comments:

  1. Nice list, Trits. For me? Hmmm. In no particular order...

    - Jagged Alliance: Back in Action
    - Wargame: European Escalation
    - Endless Space
    - Krater
    - Rayman Origins Vita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bro.

      I played Velocity, great fun. Can't help but feel it would be a better Vita game instead of a multiplatform mini. Touch-controlled transporting would make that game brilliant.

      Delete