Thursday, December 8

Retraction: The box has it wrong, and so do I

Earlier this week I published a post titled "The box has it (or how Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary broke my heart)," where I claimed that the game in question did not support 4 player splitscreen multiplayer. This claim was based on the back of the box art which states that Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary supports:
  • Players 1-2
  • Co-op 2
  • System Link 2-16
I made an assumption, and I was wrong. I would first like to apologise to the developer, 343 Industries for my mistake. I made an unfair representation of their game which they have put a great deal of effort into.  Secondly, I would like to apologise to the editors at Bitmob for the mistake I had written into my post which was later promoted and received many more hits than it deserved. Finally, I would like to apologise to any readers for the misinformation. I hope that my error does not influence your decision to purchase this game.

I will assure that the anecdote which was the heart of the post is a true story, perhaps altered by some rose-tinted glasses. I'm glad that I now have the chance to play my brothers in 3 player splitscreen multiplayer.

To conclude, I'd like to refer to the coarsely-named blog, Game Journalists are Incompetent Fuckwits. Sometimes the author can be a little blunt, but I agree with the broader message that he puts forward. Game journalism deserves better than writers who refuse to be transparent and accountable for what they write. I'm not a professional game journalist (some day I would truly love to be), but I would like to see greater standards placed on the industry.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies. Rest-assured: next time I make an assertion about a game, I'll confirm it before I post.

Regards,

Dutch

No comments:

Post a Comment